Sunday, June 26, 2011

Lazy Sunday

The ladies spend an awful lot of time lying about these days. Sometimes on the ground, sometimes on their outside perch. My theory is that it's because they are awake for so many more hours than they are during the winter. 

They do live a sunrise-to-sunset sort of life, which is about 16 hours at the peak of summer, and 8 at the peak of winter. I suppose that resting quietly helps them fill some of the hours, and make up for the sleep they're not getting. It's cute, especially when they they actively nap, head tucked under wing. I would love to get a photo of this, but getting close enough would just disturb them and ruin the shot.

2 comments:

  1. This month's Country Living has an article on backyard chickens or rather the living quarters of said chickens. The hens in the article have a snazzy crib I tell ya. The plans are offered for sale (of course) if anyone is interested. Think I'll pass the idea along to my neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some swank chicken coops out there! Jeff didn't use plans for ours (he's handy that way), but I had seen photos of similar coops, and it was simple enough to make the general design match the allocated space. There's a book called "Chicken Coops: 45 Plans For Housing Your Flock" by Judy Pangman that's pretty cool. Has plans for all sizes of coops. I got it from the library when we were figuring out what we wanted to do with ours.

    ReplyDelete