Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Do my feathers make my butt look fat?

It's no secret that a lot of people overfeed themselves and overfeed their pets. But overfeeding chickens can be bad news. An obese chicken is more likely to get an egg stuck on the way out, and who wants to have to strap on the latex glove and go rooting around in there? Besides, as strong as their legs seem when they're jumping on and off the roost and kicking up dirt, I don't like to think of them needing to hold up extra weight (like some of their poor industrially raised cousins).

A chicken & urban farming message group I subscribe to posted a link to this article today on how to tell if your chickens are a normal weight, and I thought it would be a good resource for any fellow backyard chicken farmers reading this!

No comments:

Post a Comment