Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Lunch!


Miss Buttons, Little Bob and Coco did a great job of attacking this lettuce head today. As always...don't let them mistake YOUR head for a head of iceberg. Where's Lady Marmalade? She was on the nest, laying the first of the day's FOUR eggs!


Today was the second day in a row that each hen laid an egg. We've had a lot of three-egg days the last few weeks, but this is a record. I think they maybe had one four-egg day last summer. I guess it makes a difference that they're a year old now.

So, in spite of the fact that the Seattle weather has been cool, wet and a touch dreary, our little garden managed to provide me with some significant lunch ingredients. Eggs, naturally, and some of these mustard greens that overwintered nicely.


I'm planning to start my tomato seedlings indoors this weekend. But other than peas, I don't plan to direct seed anything outside just yet. I've learned, in my five springs in this house, and this garden, that it just doesn't pay to rush even cool-weather crops into the ground until we've had a little more sun and a slight warming. Crops planted a month later germinate better and end up catching up to their early-bird siblings, anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Love your beautiful hens. Now I want all my eggs to come from chickens who get to live like yours do. I live in farm country (Kansas) so I hope to find some from local farmers soon.

    ReplyDelete