Monday, August 2, 2010

Great grapes!

Three years ago (spring 2007) we planted two grape vines on trellises next to our backyard patio. Table grapes, not wine grapes, and varieties that do well in a cooler western Washington climate.

They grew steadily, but produced no fruit the following year, which wasn't unexpected. Last year, they produced several clusters of small, exquisite fruit. These are not your supermarket grapes, no ma'am. So fragrant, with nuances of flavor that I can't even begin to describe.

This year, all I can say is...oh my goodness. The vines are everywhere, and there are so many clusters of grapes, it's just insane. From TWO vines.

Last year, the birds didn't discover the grapes (I can't say the same for our blueberries...grrrrrr!). This year, we could feed ten neighborhoods' worth of bird and still have more grapes than we can eat, I swear.

With school/work craziness, I haven't been exactly the boss of the vines. I should probably cut them back so they don't take over our large-ish Japanese maple. Maybe tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment