Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The chicken learning curve

When I went to go let the ladies out of the henhouse yesterday morning, I of course peeked at them through a crack, first (I really wish we had a Chicken Cam). They were on their roosts! I was so excited! The three big ladies were on the low roost, and little Babette was queen of the world up on the higher roost. I wish I had a picture, but instead I have this one from later in the day:

Aren't these the cutest chickens in the world?

I'm attempting to train them to put themselves to bed. Around 8 p.m., I turned on the heat lamp in the henhouse. Shortly before 9, I peeked out the window and saw Lady M and Coco on the ramp, looking toward the light, but they flew back down. Drat!

I finally intervened around 9:30 when they were all lined up on the coop roost, much like in the photo above. Oh, well...it's early days. They'll learn. Except Miss Buttons...she's not too bright.

3 comments:

  1. Well, at least Miss Buttons is a cutie! Gorgeous feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, she's not bright, but she does have her looks going for her. Much like my golden retriever...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all the ladies are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete